Monday, September 14, 2009

My NEW Social Media Goals

Recently a client of mine and also good friend, asked me why I use all the social marketing tools such as facebook, twitter, blogs, etc. My quick response was that it allows me to convey information, information that I feel is valuable to the masses in a friendly fashion. From here anyone can choose to follow my advice and use my knowledge/experience if they choose to.

My friend proceeds to say that is the very reason people choose me as their REALTOR; for my knowledge, expertise, drive, and honesty. My friend then asked me why I keep re-posting other people’s articles and information without adding my value to it. This made me think, after reading through a number of my previous posts I realized this was true. I had just been re-posting other-people’s information that I felt was of value.

When I looked around at other people social media, I found the same results. Most people are using social media as a method of re-posting information they had no input into or analysis of. Information that really offers no new content or opinion, and the reader may as well go back to the original source. Why should a reader follow a blog from someone specific if no new value is added?

Now that I am aware of this, my new social media methods have a goal. My goals going forward are to compose my opinion and post my articles to people who choose to follow me. However, the big difference is taking ownership of what I post as my own written words, thoughts and opinions that offer more value to the reader than the reader just going to the original source. I will then back-up my social media materials with links to other articles and research that supports my opinions. In this way and only this way do I think that my social media is really offering anything unique and of value to those who follow it. Cheers… Roland

No comments:

Post a Comment